I am currently Lecturer at the College of Elementary Education, Jiangxi Normal University, China.
Passionate about education in general and mathematics education in specific, I completed a PhD (2011-2016) at the University of Southampton under the supervision of Professor David Reynolds. My PhD focused on the effectiveness of mathematics teaching (EMT) in primary schools in England and China. The EMT project built on decades of research on effective maths teaching, updated the field with cross-national data and findings and has generated much publicity since the 2014 BERA press release. In my MA (2010-2011) dissertation, I compared the geometry curriculum of England and China under the supervision of Keith Jones. Before studying in Southampton, I had eleven years’ work experience in China, first as a maths and English teacher (1999-2000) and then a translator/interpreter (2000-2010). During the later stage (2014-2015) of my PhD, I had also worked as a research assistant to the improving children’s mathematical reasoning project at the University of Aberdeen.
- Effective Mathematics Teaching & Learning
- Educational Effectiveness, Equity and Improvement
- Curricula, Textbooks, Assessment and Evaluation
- International Comparisons & Collaborations in Education
- Philosophy and Methodology of Educational Research
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM)
- Comparative & international Education Society (CIES)
- International Congress for School Effectiveness & Improvement (ICSEI)
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)